Monday, December 27, 2010

More Magnesium!

I politely declined when the grocery clerk asked me if I wanted a basket, and doing so limited what I could carry and allowed me to exit the store with a week's worth of fresh local produce for less than $10. Of course, this also caused my peppercorns to slip from my arms, and now my grinder remains on low... but I digress. My intent was to get spinach, and in the end, I was able to create a well rounded meal, high in magnesium, uber delicious, using what I had on hand at home... add spinach.

Why spinach you ask? Well, after learning that a close friend of mine had a migraine, I read up on the symptoms, causes, preventions and treatments. I was intrigued to learn that a deficiency in magnesium, can be related to the onset and/or prevention of these nasty buggers. I've also been craving spinach recently, and I've learned to listen to and then deconstruct my body's cravings. In this case, it is quite possible that my body was letting me know that I was running low on a whole list of things; iron, vita c, folate, vita a, manganese, b2, calcium, b6, potassium, as well as magnesium. Thus, I was inspired to capture this nutrition in the evening meal.

What I had on hand:

1 bunch of spinach, washed and de-stemmed
2 large cloves of garlic, cleaned and sliced
1/2 large onion, chunked
3 medium potatoes, chunked
2 TB olive oil
1 egg
4 oz piece of Black Pepper and Garlic Smoked Alaskan King Salmon
pat of butter
sprinkle of thyme, black pepper and crushed red pepper (optional)

What I did:

Toss the potatoes, garlic, onion and olive oil in roasting pan (ceramic, glass or iron) and roast on 350 for 30-45 minutes, or until soft and fragrant... stirring occasionally. Add spinach, and seasonings, cover and return to oven for 5 minutes, remove and stir, so the heat of the potatoes finishes steaming the greens. Fry egg in butter, while heating up fish in the same pan, next to one another. Spoon veggies into bowl and top with protein. *For a well rounded vegan dish, simply cube marinated tempeh, and add with the potatoes, onions and garlic.

For more information on the health benefits of spinach, click on this link:

For more information on the health benefits of magnesium and what it can do for your body, click on this link:

For a list of foods high in Magnesium, click on this link:
http://www.algaecal.com/magnesium/magnesium-rich-foods.html                                                   
             


No comments:

Post a Comment