Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ginger Agave Pear Apple Crisp


In Yakima, WA, last month, I had the opportunity to pick some pears and apples with some friends, from a local farm. I ended up with quite a few more than I had intended, but I quickly figured out how to put them to good use and cleaned out my cupboards at the same time! Although I found several recipes online, I strayed from them all, reducing the amount of sugar and substituting some ingredients for others. The first batch was all pears. The second was a combination. I found blueberries in the freezer and added them into the second batch, as well as cut the sugar amounts below, in half again. If the fruit is fresh and sweet, then adding so much extra sugar is unnecessary, but then, I wasn't raised on sugary desserts. Less is more, and that's one reason I prefer agave. It's also easy to make this recipe gluten free by using only gluten free cereal and flour.

Main body:

7-8 pears and/or apples, cored and cubed
1/4 cup of sugar, brown or white
2 good squeezes of agave
2 TB butter, cubed or sliced
1 teaspoon of ginger
2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
a sprinkle or two of cloves

Combine all of this in a big bowl with a silicone or rubber spatula. Spread in lightly greased pan.

Topping:

6 TB butter, cubed or sliced
1/4 cup sugar, brown or white
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup cereal/granola/rolled oats/raw nuts and fruit 

Combine all of this in a big bowl and mix up with a fork, and spoon it over the fruit. 
Flatten it gently with the fork, filling in the spaces.

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
Let cool and serve! 

By the way... This is fantastic with Scoop's Organic Pumpkin or Madagascar Vanilla Ice Cream!

1 comment:

  1. I just picked up a bag of pears at our local Armenian produce shop.

    -Kit

    ReplyDelete